The Order of Job's Daughters was founded in Omaha, Nebraska in 1920 by Mrs. Ethel T. Wead
Mick, or Mother Mick as the members affectionately call her. Mother Mick, realizing the
importance of the early training she received from her Christian mother, and especially the
beautiful lessons in literature and drama as found in the Book of Job, decided to give her time
and talent to make it possible for all young women of Masonic relationship to share the rare
privileges that were hers. After several years of careful study-and consideration with the
assistance of her husband Dr. William H. Mick and other capable workers, she founded the Order
of Job's Daughters, in honor and memory of her mother, Elizabeth D. Wead.
The purpose of the Order was to band together young girls with Masonic relationship for
character building through moral and spiritual development by teaching a greater reverence for
God and the Holy Scriptures: loyalty to the Flag and the Country for which it stands, and respect
for parents and Guardians. The organization was named "Job's Daughters" after the three
daughters of Job in the Bible. The organization was founded on the 15th verse of the 42nd
Chapter of the Book of Job: "In all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of
Job; and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren."
In 1920 weekly meetings were held in the upstairs family parlor of the Mick residence. The
Worthy Grand Matron and Worthy Grand Patron, Order of Eastern Star of Nebraska and other
leading Masonic related 'persons were in attendance. The Grand Master of Masons and the Grand
Lodge in Nebraska approved and lauded the formation of such a group for young women.
The Order was historically founded on October 20, 1920, at which time it was definitely decided
to adopt the carefully developed plans of, Mrs. Mick and the weekly planning group, and to
proceed with the forming of the Order. The Executive Council was formed on January 19, 1921,
when the Executive Council Officers were chosen.
The first initiation was held May 6, 1921 in the Omaha Masonic Temple. On May 27, 1921, the
Order of Job's Daughters was formally organized at a called meeting held in the office of Dr.
Mick. The first Annual Meeting of the Supreme Guardian Council was held in October 14,1921.
The first Charter granted was issued to Bethel No.1 of Omaha on December 31, 1921.
The authority to proceed with this organization was jointly granted by Most Worshipful J. B.
Fradenburg, the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Nebraska, the Worthy Grand Matron, Mrs.
Anna J. Davis, and the Worthy Grand Patron, James E. Bednar of the Grand Chapter of Eastern
Star of Nebraska. Many prominent members of the Masonic Fraternity and Eastern Star from
other states not only assisted in the formative stages but were active for many years in this
remarkable youth movement.
The name became the International Order of Job's Daughters in 1931 when Job's Daughters
came to British Columbia, Canada. Upon becoming a 501 (c) (3) organization in 2001, the name
was changed to Job’s Daughters International.